Janine M. Figueiredo
Partner, Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- T 212.478.7355
- F 212.478.7400
Janine’s practice focuses primarily on the representation of Creditors’ Committees, Liquidating Trustees and secured and unsecured creditors in complex corporate reorganizations, restructurings and liquidations. Janine has extensive experience representing clients in many different industries, including subprime mortgages, manufacturing, retail, media and entertainment, wholesale/distribution, and specialty chemicals. Through her representations of the Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors of some of the nation’s largest subprime mortgage bankruptcies, including New Century TRS Holdings, Inc. and ResMAE Mortgage Corp, Janine has developed expertise both in financial products and complex debt structures. Her bankruptcy litigation experience spans from the defense and prosecution of avoidance actions to complex plan appeal issues.
Selected Creditor Committee representations:
- Vertellus Specialties Inc., a manufacturer of specialty chemicals;
- Hancock Fabrics, Inc., one of the largest fabric retailers in the United States;
- AWI Delaware, Inc., White Rose and Nell’s, mid-Atlantic and New Jersey based supermarket and specialty store distributor and retailer;
- Reichhold Holdings US, Inc., manufacturer of unsaturated polyester resins for fabrication of composite products and coatings;
- Furniture Brands International, Inc., manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer of home furniture and furnishings;
- Syms Corp and Filene’s Basement, clothing and accessories retailers;
- 4Kids Entertainment, Inc., full-service children’s brand management company;
- Loehmann’s Holdings, Inc., a leading national retailer that reorganized and emerged from Chapter 11 in less than three months, earning the Turnaround Atlas Award for Corporate Turnaround Deal of the Year in 2011;
- Zestra Laboratories Inc., manufacturer of consumer health products;
- New Century TRS Holdings, Inc., a residential home mortgage originator, securitizer and servicer, and one of the nation’s largest subprime mortgage bankruptcies;
- ResMAE Mortgage Corporation, a residential home mortgage originator and securitizer;
- Crabtree & Evelyn Ltd., the only retail company to reorganize and emerge from Chapter 11 in 2010.
Janine is a member of the Executive Board of Directors of the Turnaround Management Association. She also currently serves as the Chairman of the TMA New York Chapter, for which she previously served as its President, General Counsel and VP of Programming. Janine is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the New York State and American Bar Associations.
Janine has served as the Firm’s Hiring Partner since 2016 and has served on the Associate’s Committee since 2005.